Share this post
Submission to the United Nations Human Rights Committee ahead of the third periodic review of Nepal (adoption of List Of Issues Prior to Reporting).
Harm Reduction International, Recovering Nepal, Recovering Nepal Women, Dristi Nepal, Coalition of Drug Users in Nepal (CDUN), YKP (Young Key Affected People) LEAD Nepal, Youthrise International, SPARSHA Nepal, Community Support Group Nepal (CSG) and IDPC welcome the opportunity of submitting information to the Human Rights Committee ahead of its adoption of the List of Issues Prior to Reporting for the review of Nepal, at its 131st Session.
This submission will assess the performance of Nepal regarding its obligations under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), with a focus on the country’s drug policy.
Information is provided regarding the following violations against people who use drugs:
1. Disproportionate punishment of drug offences, and incarceration (Art. 7, 9, 10, 14, 26);
2. Targeting and ill-treatment by law enforcement, and arbitrary arrest and detention (Art. 7, 9, 10, 26);
3. Ill-treatment in private drug detention centres and lack of monitoring (Art. 2, 7, 9, 10);
4. Arbitrary interference with the right to privacy (Art. 17); and
5. Stigma and discrimination (Art. 26).