Submission to the United Nations Human Rights Committee ahead of Mexico’s sixth periodic review.
Harm Reduction International, MUCD and Equis welcome the opportunity to report to the Human Rights Committee ahead of its sixth periodic review of Mexico, at its 127th session. This briefing provides information on Mexico’s compliance with its human rights obligations under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), with a focus on the country’s drug policy. Accordingly, it will address the following items:
1. Militarization of public security and states of emergency (Issue 10)
2. Extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances and torture (Issue 12)
3. Violation of the rights of women by the armed forces (Issue 12 in relation to Issue 9)
4. Treatment of persons deprived of their liberty (Issue 20)
5. Drug Dependence Treatment for Incarcerated Women (Issue 20 in connection to Issue 9)
6. Mandatory pretrial detention (Issue 20)