Share this post
Submission to the Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights – Italy
Forum Droghe, LILA, La Società della Ragione, ITANPUD and Harm Reduction International (HRI) welcome the opportunity to submit information to the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR) ahead of its review of the periodic report of Italy and the adoption of the List of Issues Prior to Reporting at its 66th session (9th-13th March 2020).
Focusing on the right to health, this submission will assess the compatibility of key drug control policies and practices pursued by Italy with its obligations under the International Covenant on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights (ICESCR), with particular attention to:
- Harm reduction as a fundamental component of the right to health, including availability and accessibility of quality harm reduction services;
- Discrimination in enjoyment of the right to health against vulnerable populations, including prisoners, migrants, refugees, and asylum seekers;
- The right of people who use drugs to access health services;
- The criminalisation of people who use drugs;
- The right of civil society and of people who use drugs to participate in the developing, monitoring, and evaluating of drug policies.